Thursday we went to Allison's 2 week appointment and were happy to find out she now weighs 8 lbs and 14 oz which means she had no trouble getting back up to her birth weight (8 lbs 7 oz)! To celebrate Brian and I went out to lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings and Allison slept the whole time. Allison is our little sleeper. She is quite boring, sleeping for long
stretches of the day and night. I am loving the newborn smell and the "milk drunk" faces that Allison gives me. She is opening her eyes for me more now. She seems to always open her eyes when
Madelyn gets home from school though!
Allison is a good nurser but nothing like her sister, Madelyn, who was up to 9 lbs 14 oz (almost a lb over her birth weight of 8 lbs 15 oz) by her 2 week appointment (
Madelyn 2 week appointment). Allison seems to be an easier baby so far which is probably why she hasn't gained as much weight as Madelyn did since the only thing that seemed to calm Madelyn was nursing or being worn. But we'll see how Allison turns out as she is now the "same age" as when Madelyn was born (41 week gestational). We know that fussiness for all babies increases until 6-8 weeks. We are just curious to see if Allison's fussiness is as bad as Madelyn's was!!
Madelyn seems to love her little sister, giving her lots of hugs and kisses and always wanting Allison to sit by her at dinner. Luckily Allison seems to be a good sport to all the "love" although I catch myself holding my tongue when Madelyn does things that are a little too rough. I read to be easy going when it comes to sibling love because the last thing the older sibling wants to hear is constant reprimands on how to treat the baby. I figure as long as Allison is not getting hurt or upset, Madelyn's touching is probably fine. Although she likes to try to open Allison's eyes which I am sure doesn't feel good to Allison. When Allison cries, Madelyn is so sweet to her saying things in a caring voice like "do you want some milk from Mommy", "you're okay, you're okay," and "shhh" while stroking her or kissing her. She is also very good about covering her up with a blanket and loves to hold her hand.
Madelyn has also tried to help Allison "suck her thumb" which is so cute. We figure since Madelyn associates sucking her thumb with soothing herself, she figured Allison would also like to suck her own thumb. Allison has on occasion managed to get her thumb in her mouth on her own--will we have another thumb sucker?? Madelyn's been good with me nursing Allison. It was something I was nervous about. She has asked for some milk herself though. I told her the milk was for Allison and she so sweetly replied that she would "take that one" and pointed to the other side that Allison wasn't nursing on. Madelyn is also very good about cleaning up Allison's face from milk or spit up with a burp cloth. It's so cute how loving she can be.
Brian and I are recovering. He is getting over his sickness but it still coughing and has pains in his sides (probably from coughing so much). He's been home since Allison was born but has worked from home some of the time. I am healing but it still hurts every time I move. I am hoping for some warmer weather so I can get out and go on some walks but it seems like it's been cold, windy, and/or snowy since Allison was born! I had my one week doctor appointment where they took out my staples. I don't go back until my 6 week postpartum visit so I guess I get to decide when I am fit enough to drive this time around. They recommend 2-3 weeks. It's been 2 weeks so hopefully I will feel confident that I can push hard on the brake if need be so I can start driving.
These two weeks have been hard all cooped up in our house because of the cold weather. We have been so blessed by family and friends who have come and visited and brought us dinner. Brian gets stressed out about what to make for dinner and getting it all made before Madelyn has to go to bed so it's been so nice not having to worry about it for many of our meals.
Here are some photos from our two weeks:
 |
| Preta, our cat, curled up with Alison and Brian |
 |
| Don't mind the fact that Madelyn has no pants on. She wanted to wear underwear when she got home from school. |
 |
| Aunt Beth taking care of Allison and Madelyn taking care of her baby Scarlett |
 |
| Such a proud big sister. She wanted to make sure Allison had her giraffe that she gave her. |
 |
| Allison with her giraffe and Baby Scarlett on her pillow pet |
 |
| Stretching...so big! |
 |
| Cousin Juliana with Allison |
 |
| Grandma and Grandpa Giese's first time holding Allison |
 |
| Madelyn likes covering Allison up with a blanket |
 |
| A tired dad with his two daughters |
 |
| Madelyn so HAPPY to have Allison next to her at the dinner table |
 |
| Madelyn kept being silly and wouldn't look at the camera so Brian mimicked her. |
 |
| First Bath at home for Allison--Madelyn liked helping |
 |
| Madelyn wanted to be held like Daddy holds Allison. |
 |
| Allison got a present and Madelyn thought she would like it right next to her. |
 |
| Madelyn nursing her baby doll--too cute! |
No comments:
Post a Comment